In this post we will be reviewing the best portable garment steamers for drapes and curtains that are being sold in the market. Make an informed decision before you purchase one without ado, below are our best handheld (or portable) steamers (clicking on a subheading tab will reveal more details under it)
1. iSteam Handheld Portable Steamer
- Its new nozzle design enables it to distributes steam in a consistent and powerful manner enabling it to remove stubborn wrinkles effectively on curtains and drapes.
- Its compact shape has been designed to make you store it easily and safely and also make it a easy accessory to travel with. Its safe to use on all types of fabric.
- Another of its attractive features is that its been designed to heat up quickly (60 seconds) to enable you to use it without wasting time. It includes an automatic shut-off feature for safety protection when the unit gets too hot or too low on water level.
- It has a high captivity water tank that fills easily that can last for ten minutes of continuous steaming.
- Comes with a two year warranty
- This steamer not only irons and cleans, but it also sterilizes and humidify your curtains and drapes in minutes.
- If you travel with this steamer to European nations, dont forget to buy an converter that converts power from 110v to 220v. Europeans use 220v
- This powerful clothes steamer works quite well on different types of garments. You can use it on suits, pants, dresses, undergarments and even beddings. This saves you money and time that you could have spent on dry cleaning.
- Portable – The designers of iSteam were motivated to build a steamer that could easily be stored and kept for any purpose. I see this steamer fulfilling this objective quite well. Its light making it a perfect travel accessory even for carry on luggage.
- Thinking of buying a loved one a gift for Christmas, Mother’s/Father’s day, Thanksgiving, Birthday etc? This would be an ideal present
Note: The manufacturer has cautioned that you should:-
1. Never turn it upside down while using it.
2. Never be tilted past a 45 degree angle
3. Never use it on clothes that you are wearing.
For ease of use and best results, the manufacturer recommends that you use a hanger to hang your clothes, drapes and curtains while steaming.
- Dimensions: 8 x 3.2 x 5.5 inches
- Weight: 1.2 pounds
How To Operator the iSteamer
- Unscrew the nozzle head, fill the tank with cold water up to the desired level, never exceed the maximum level. When finishing, lock the head back on.
- Turn ON/OFF switch to ON position. The switch light indicates the steamer is on. The steamer will emit steam from a nozzle in 1 minute.
- When the unit runs out of the water, it will reset itself automatically to ensure your safety while leaving the indicator light ON. If you wish to continue your steaming session, turn ON/OFF switch to the OFF position, refill the water tank by following step 1 again, then turn ON/OFF switch to ON position.
- When finished, place the ON/OFF switch in the OFF position and remove the plug carefully from the outlet.
- Do you need to hold the steamer button down for continuous steaming? What you need to do is keep the button of status “on” while steaming, but you don’t need to hold button.
- Can you use this steamer on diapers? Yes you can
1. Super lightweight and easy to use.
2. You can do about 2 shirts with one fill.
3. Its small & compact & people who travel a lot will find it very convenient
4. Removes wrinkles very easily
- Some have said that it spits out water instead of steam. The manufacturer clarified and said that if it spurts out water while boiling, it might be related to high levels of minerals and acid in the water. They recommend using distilled or pure water to prevent this.
2. URPOWER Portable Handheld Garment Steamer
- Can hold 130ml of water that can last upto 10 minutes of continuous steaming
- Comes with a 2 year warranty.
- The nozzle design of this garment steamer is created in such a way that it distributes steam powerfully and consistently to remove stubborn wrinkles.
- Its designed to be stored easily and travelers will find it friendly to carry in their travel bags.
- Comes with an automatic shut-off function when the unit gets too hot or the water level is too low
- This steamer can be used on all type of fabrics.
- Heats quickly in 2 minutes
- Easily removes wrinkles on shirts,t-shirts, dresses and many other fabrics
- 1*URPOWER Garment Steamer
- 1*Travel Pouch
- 1* User Manual
- 1* Warning Card
- Product Dimensions: 3.7 x 8.8 x 6.2 inches
- Item Weight: 1.2 pounds
How To Use URPOWER
- Do not tilt the steamer more than 45 degree.
- Water should not be over the max line
- The mist is super hot, keep away from the hot steam.
- Use a power converter which converts voltage to 110V when using this steamer abroad. (Europe & African countries use 240v)
- Simple, inexpensive and works well.
- Small and great for Travellers
- Works on every type of fabric
- Heats up fast
.1. Some people are complaining that when it boils it spurts out hot water.
3. CONAIR ExtremeSteam GS23 C Hand Held Fabric Steamer
This is another top seller handheld fabric steamer, sold by Conair. What are its features?
- According to the manufacturer, its heat technology creates a concentrated burst of steam which is up to 30% hotter that is able to penetrate heavier fabrics like drapes and curtains and release wrinkles 5x faster than other steamers and Kills dust mites and bed bugs
- This garment steamer takes about 75 seconds to heat up & gives you upto 15 minute steam time
- You are able to switch heat settings..from low and high temperatures.
- It has a steam trigger with built in switch for constant steam & energy-saving steam pause features
- The product 3 removable attachments which provide you with versatile steaming options: a fabric brush that gives you the ability to open up fibers for deeper steam penetration, a creaser that is great at getting perfectly pleats and folds, and soft cushion brush to help protect delicate fabrics.
- Comes with a limited one-year warranty
- This appliance comes with 2 heat settings; The 395 degree setting is set to tackle cotton & wool while the 200 degree setting is used to steam satin, silk, nylon and polyester.
What You Get With Purchase
- Handheld fabric steamer
- Fabric brush attachment
- Creaser attachment
- Soft cushion brush
4. ROWENTA DR8080 Handheld Garment Steamer
- Ready to start steaming in 45 seconds
- Power rating of 1500 Watts.
- Has a robust base and chair hanger making it flexible when storing it
- Offers ten minutes of uninterrupted steaming
- The power cord length is 3 metres
- Its powerful steam burst of 22 gram/minute makes it one of the most powerful steamers on the market
- Its wide steam head gives you maximum steam distribution.
- Its stainless steel soleplate enables it to better conduct heat for faster & more accurately
- Comes with a transparent removable base that holds 6.76 ounce water tank.
- This steamer has 3 extra features: A fabric brush that you can use to remove stubborn wrinkes on sweaters or pants, a steam bonnet that prevents water from spitting on delicate clothes such as silk and a lint pad that is useful for removing lints from your fabrics.
- Dimensions: 13 x 5.6 x 8.1 inches
- Weight: 3 pounds
- Do you use the product upright or can you tilt it too? Use it upright
- Why does Rowenta recommend using tap water instead of distilled water? According to the answer given, distilled water has lesser minerals in it and as such “sucks” carbon dioxide from the air making the water acidic and in the process corroding the metallic parts.