Getting a great steam iron that suits your quilting needs can be quite a challenge! The perfect iron for the quilter must have a pointed tip to get into those sharp corners, produce enough steam to flatten creases and seams, and be handy enough to use all day long without tiring your arms and shoulders.
Amazon has a wide range of irons suitable for this purpose, and below are the top three!
A. Oliso TG1600 Smart Iron with iTouch Technology
The Oliso TG1600 is an 1800-Watt Steam iron that comes in Pink and Yellow. If you are looking for an iron that can give you neat, crisp pockets, cuffs and pleats, this is it!
This iron features iTouch Technology that works this way – touch the iron when you want it to go down, and let go when you want it to go back up!
In addition, the iron has three steam settings (continuous, horizontal and vertical burst), a Pro-Press stainless steel soleplate that glides along the fabric as you iron, and a two-inch detailer tip that lets you iron inside the tiniest layers.
- You will never experience scorched fabric or burns, thanks to the scorch guards that lift the iron off the board as soon as you let go of it. Also, the auto shut-off feature ensures that the heat is shut off after 30 seconds if the iron falls over, or after 30 minutes if still plugged in but not in use.
- This iron has a large 12.7-ounce water reservoir, which means you can iron for a while without having to stop for a refill.
- The anti-drip system within this iron also prevents leaking and spitting during the ironing process, keeping you safe from burns.
- Lastly, there is a spray mist feature that you can use to dampen stubborn wrinkles.
(a.1.4) Product Specifications
- The Oliso TG1600 measures 12.5 by 7.9 by 5.6 inches.
- It weighs 4.1 pounds, and 4.45 pounds when packaged.
(a.1.5) Who is this product designed for?
This iron is perfect for quilters, crafters and anyone who does frequent sewing. You are guaranteed crisp pleats, seams, and pockets without straining your wrists and shoulders.
- The holes in the iron look few. Do they produce enough steam? Yes, they produce more than enough steam.
- How does the iron perform over a period of several months to over a year? It performs very well, often lasting for several years.
- Does this iron come with a warranty? Yes, there is a 1-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Does the iron give you value for money? Yes, it does. It is very handy and efficient.
- Is there an automatic shut-off feature? Yes, there is. It goes off after 30 seconds if it topples over, and after 30 minutes if standing idle.
(a.3) Pros and Cons
- The iron comes in two attractive colors.
- The iron shuts off if it topples over, or is left on but not in use.
- You will no longer experience burns and scorch marks on your fabrics.
- The pointed tip gets in between layers and flattens hidden creases.
- You will not experience strain on your wrists and shoulders when using this iron.
- After a while, this iron may start leaking. It may, not all but some
- The iTouch feature may sometimes stop working after a few months.
- In some cases, the warranty may not be honored.
B. Oliso TG1050 Smart Iron
This smart iron from Oliso, with iTouch technology, has scorch guards that prevent burning, scorching and tipping. It is one of the safest irons on the market!
The Oliso TG1050 has a stainless steel soleplate with mirror glide finish that aids in heat retention and distribution, and several steam holes for even stem flow.
The Triple Play Xtreme Steam feature gives you a choice of three steam settings, while the auto shut-off mechanism ensures that there are no accidents when the iron falls over, or is left plugged in and unattended.
- The quilter who needs an iron that gets in between layers will enjoy the TG1050 that has a 1.5-inch detailer tip designed to reach the most hidden creases.
- Also, the three fabric settings (synthetic, linen/cotton, and wool/silk) allow you to select the correct temperature setting for your fabric.
- This iron has a long 8’8″ cord that rotates 360 degrees, making it ideal for either left-hand or right-hand use.
- You do not need to worry about looking for distilled water for ironing, as the iron has an anti-calcium and self-cleaning system that keeps the iron free from mineral and calcium deposits within the steam holes.
(b.1.4) Product Specifications
- The TG1050 measures 12.5 by 6.1 by 8 inches and weighs 3.7 pounds.
- If you order this iron, expect to receive a package weighing 4 pounds.
(b.1.5) Who is this product designed for?
This product is useful for everyday ironing as well as quilting and crafting. If you want to reduce your regular ironing time, buy this iron!
- Is the voltage 110V or 220V? 110V.
- Does this iron cause the fabric to have an unnatural shine when ironing over multiple layers?
No, it does not.
- What should I do when the iron no longer lowers itself automatically when touched? Check the button at the back of the iron, and turn on the iTouch feature.
- Can I use tap water with this iron, or do I have to purchase distilled water? You can use tap water in this iron with no adverse effects.
- Is this iron heavy or light? The iron is light, and thankfully, you do not have to keep picking it up.
(b.3) Pros and Cons
- This iron shuts off automatically if knocked over, or not in use (but plugged in)
- Users do not experience any strain on the hand, wrist or forearm
- The 12.7-ounce reservoir does not need frequent refilling during ironing.
- The 1.5-inch detailer tip is perfect for quilting and making seams.
- The manufacturer is quick to respond to queries.
- The iron may begin to drip after several months of use.
- The sensor for the scorch guards may need replacement after some time.
- This iron is a little pricier than other irons.
C. Steamfast SF-717 Home-and-Away Mini Steam Iron
The 420-Watt Steamfast mini iron, the world’s smallest steam iron, removes wrinkles and creases from almost any fabric, making it the perfect travel accessory!
This mini steam iron has a non-stick soleplate, a one-touch steam control, and comes with a travel bag and a plastic measuring cup. This handy iron also has a 1.4-ounce water tank, variable temperature settings, and a dual voltage feature.
- The dual voltage feature of this iron enables you to use it overseas – all you need to do is flip the switch at the back to change the voltage!
- The tiny non-stick soleplate also helps you to reach little corners and press tiny seams and pleats that bigger irons would not reach.
- The Steamfast mini steam iron heats up in only 15 seconds, after which you can set it to either of the three temperature settings.
- Though this iron is light enough to be packed in its bag and taken on your travels, it is strong enough to handle everyday ironing at home.
(c.1.4) Product Specifications
This mini steam iron measures 5.2 by 3 by 3.1 inches, weighs only 1 pound, and 1.25 pounds when packaged.
(c.1.5) Who is this product designed for?
The Steamfast mini steam iron is ideal for frequent travelers who prefer to iron their clothes for themselves, and people who have limited ironing space in their homes.
- I lost my instruction booklet. Where can I get a copy? You can get it on the Steamfast website, or call Steamfast toll free on 1-800-711-6617 to get a copy.
- How does this iron work for pressing seams and other sewing tasks? It works very well.
- Does this iron have an auto shut-off feature? No, it does not.
- Is this iron dual voltage? How do I change the voltage? Yes, it is a dual voltage iron. Check the rear of the iron to find the switch that changes the voltage.
- Does the iron have a steam burst function? No, but the steam production is steady and sufficient.
(c.3) Pros and Cons
- This iron is great for sewing and quilting.
- The travel bag enables you to stow the iron away safely in your suitcase.
- The iron heats up quickly and evenly.
- The dual voltage function makes this iron ideal for traveling.
- This iron is small and portable.
- The water tank is small and requires frequent refills.
- The iron may begins to leak with frequent use.
The soleplate does not glide on the fabric, sometimes causing burns.
All these 3 quilting steam irons are good but our best recommendation is the Oliso TG1600 Smart Iron. Click here to read more information on Amazon